While most movies end up on a happy note with the hero being the hero, some movies die early. Most viewers find that this element makes the movie seem more realistic and not just a flowery piece. All movies center around a single person, and any slight inconvenience caused to the main character only captures the viewers’ attention more. Here are a few films where the protagonist did not make it till the end of the movie.
- Blood diamond – Leonardo Di Caprio has always been a heartthrob for many; in this movie, he plays the role of obtaining a diamond from a villager during the civil war in Sierra Leone. He went under the name Archer in the film and died a tragic yet heroic death. After fulfilling the goal of getting the diamond, Archer is shot by one of the soldiers. Before he breathes his last, he hands over the diamond to Solomon and ends with these words before dying into the sunset. “I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.”
- Titanic – Titanic was and continues to be a heartthrob for many. What bothers the fans the most was when Leonardo di Caprio who played jack in the film, died. Most fans still wonder why he had to die. In the movie, Jack dies due to hypothermia, and while viewers say he could’ve been saved, the director James Cameron explains that it wouldn’t have been realistic but simply just meaningless. The plot of the film was death and separation, so Jack had to die. It only brought about more excitement amongst the audience. Till today Titanic continues to be a film watched by hopeless romantics and has caught the eye of viewers because of the impact Jack’s death had on them.
- I’m not ashamed – This non-fiction movie is based on the tragic death of Rachel Joy Scott, who died during the Columbian high school shooting in 1999. This movie touched millions of lives because it is based on the real story and the plot that it carries, inspiring thousands of teenagers about faith.
- Passengers – The movie revolves around two people who are awakened ninety years too early from hibernation on a spaceship. There are many theories as to how the movie ends. Jim and Aurora are left alone to die on the ship. Because the ending shows how 88 years have passed to repopulate the ship, a gene bank is opened, containing the sperm and ova of all the passengers who have died, and while Jim and Aurora die, a second generation is born.
- Fault in our stars – Every person who has watched this movie has ended up in tears because of the lessons it teaches us. The movie revolves around two teenagers who have cancer, Augustus the 17- year old seems to be in remission, but in the latter part of the movie, it is shown that his cancer returns, and within a few weeks, he passes away, leaving Hazel the 16- year-old to learn that getting hurt in this world is inevitable, it is bound to happen and no matter how hard we try to run from it, it catches up with us.
Multiple movies end with the protagonist dying, and most often, this adds an element of surprise and makes the movie more realistic to its viewers. It is tragic, yet worth the twist.
Check out more posts: